Commercial buildings have several critical components that ensure functionality and stability, such as plumbing pipes, electrical, security devices, and even HVAC systems. But when it comes to providing overall security to your business, tenants, and internal components, you can rely heavily on your commercial roof to safeguard your property.
For your commercial roofing system to provide an efficient barrier, it needs to be made with quality materials with regular upkeep and repairs if required. Many people often choose the most cost-efficient, risky option since low cost usually means low quality and expensive repair and replacement costs.
Commercial Roof Installation
Commercial roofs play a vital role in protecting your business and property from harmful external elements. The longevity of its lifespan varies depending on the location, materials, design, and craftsmanship. Whether you need a replacement or a new installation, here are the things you need to know when installing a new commercial roof.
TIP #1: Look for a reliable contractor – A critical part of any roofing job is finding an expert roofer with extensive knowledge and experience. Finding a contractor whom you’re compatible with and who is reliable at the same time can be a challenging task. Ask recommendations from trusted people and check the contractor’s eligibility and past works to help you decide.
TIP #2: Ensure proper planning and design – A practical and well-calculated design must be personalized based on your roof’s structure and follow local building and safety regulations. A personalized roof plan assures you that your contractor is professional and values you as a customer.
TIP #3: Establish the project budget – Having a concrete budget plan and sticking with it is another important consideration that business owners need to understand. Your budget plays a pivotal role during the installation process since your contractor will primarily base their budget and materials proposal on your budget.
TIP#4: Estimate a time frame – Installing a commercial roofing system doesn’t happen overnight. It is essential to discuss a realistic timeframe with your contractor and adhere to the schedule since running a business.
Commercial Roof Repairs
Commercial roofing systems don’t come cheap, and it is probably one of the most significant investments you will make for your business. Therefore, it is expected that you want to make it last. A properly installed roof can last for decades — given that you take care of it with regular inspection, routine maintenance, and repair. It is ideal to hire a professional roofer and install a roof hatch safety railing for added safety and convenience. With this in mind, here are signs indicating when you need to repair your roof.
- Standing Water and Intrusion – Standing or pooling water has overall adverse effects on a roofing system. It can easily lead to water leakage, water intrusion, bacteria or mold growth, and roof deterioration. Pooling water can also dangerously weaken your roof’s support system as wood and metallic materials can decompose or corrode.
- Roof Drainage and Gaps in Flashing – A clean drainage is critical in every roofing system. If drains or gutter channels become clogged with waster and debris, it can lead to water pooling on your roof. Flashing gaps also poses a threat since it can cause water to penetrate the building.
- Heat Blisters – While roofing systems are made to withstand certain elements, too much moisture or heat can create blisters that could allow water to permeate and weaken your roof’s foundation. Blisters can also prematurely age your roof and make it more brittle, which can affect your roof’s ability to act as a barrier.
- Age of Roof – Installation, preventative maintenance, and your chosen materials are critical in ensuring your roof stability, lifespan, and effectiveness. On average, you can expect your commercial roof to last anywhere between 20-40 years if you install any of the following commercial roofs:
– TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin): 22-30 years
– PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): 20-30 years
– EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer): 22-35 years
– Butler MR-24 Standing Seam Roof System: 45+ years
– Asphalt System: 20-40 years
Climate and location also affect roof longevity. Extreme weather changes or changing seasons can put stress on your roofing system. Typically, you might need to make some repairs after a significant weather event.
Benefits of Quality Commercial Roofing
A quality commercial roof offers several precious benefits to business owners. For someone who runs a business, investing can sometimes be tricky — as many people tend to focus on their business goals, product improvement, and marketing — but not so much on equipment and facility development and repairs.
If you’re having doubts about spending your hard-earned money on a high-quality commercial roof, here are some substantial benefits that you stand to gain when you invest in one.
- Longevity – One of the primary reasons why investing in a quality roofing system is highly beneficial is the longevity of its service life. As with all products, exceptional items tend to last longer since they are built to last and manufactured with quality materials. While cheaper roofing materials and services seem favorable, there is always a reason why the supplier is selling it cheap. Quality roofing will last longer, require minimal repair, and reduce replacement cost since you will only have to replace it after a decade or so.
- Durable – Durability and longevity go hand-in-hand because the more resilient and sturdy your roofing system is, the more extended its lifespan would be. They are made with roofing materials built to be durable and can withstand external elements. With an inexpensive and low-quality roof, there is a high chance that it won’t last long against extreme weather.
- Design and Aesthetics – Every roof presents a unique challenge to roofers. Some of these challenges have to do with the building structure, which could ultimately decide the design of the top. It can also affect your property’s aesthetics, especially if you want your business to have a uniform and professional look. If you have a complicated roof structure, be wary of contractors that offer low prices. It is best to deal with reputable contractors with solid experience and work backgrounds.
Your commercial roofing system plays a pivotal roof in protecting your business and investment. Properly installing your roof is critical and ensures its stability and durability. On the other hand, roof repairs allow you to address issues before these issues turn into an expensive disaster. Make sure to consult with a reputable professional for a more calculated decision.